THE SOUL is shaped by words, images, & experiences.

THIS BLOG is about those things that have left their impression on me. I'd love for you to comment on what affects you.
_____________________________________________

Monday, November 12, 2007

Empty Bowl, Full Bowl

"You must eat it. Go back and finish all of it!" the director of the soup kitchen commanded the "clients", after he observed quite a few of them emptying nearly full bowls of spaghetti with meat sauce into the garbage.

I wiped the trays the diners returned, so I saw people dumping the food, but I didn't think much about it. I figured maybe they just didn't like the spaghetti. I knew there couldn't be anything wrong with it since our workers ate the same thing for lunch. One of the problems was that we fed a lot of children whose parents allowed them to take much larger portions than they could eat.

I didn't realize the terrible consequence of their waste until the director told me, "We had to turn away a hundred hungry people today because there wasn't enough food."

That got me thinking about waste in my life. Not food waste. I'm a food recycler, so there's no chance of that. Leftovers? Ha! Throw them into a soup or sauce, or roll them into a ball, and nobody's the wiser. No, what I mean is: am I wasting the time and resources the Lord has given me? Might I be denying a fellow human being something good and needful because I take what I have for granted?

Jesus said in Luke 12: "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required."

Oh, that I might I empty this vessel so that others may be filled!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Wow, that's a lot to think about... good stuff here. I'm feeling pretty convicted right now actually. The comparison stings because it reminds me that my time is not my own. The "food" I have to give to others is only what God has given me! I need to be a lot more purposeful with my resources, keeping in mind the gracious (and exacting) Master I serve. Thanks for the exhortation!