THE SOUL is shaped by words, images, & experiences.

THIS BLOG is about those things that have left their impression on me. I'd love for you to comment on what affects you.
_____________________________________________

Monday, August 25, 2008

Achievement or Acheatment?

The 2008 Olympics in Beijing came to a close, yesterday. And I must admit, I've never responded to any event with less enthusiasm than I have to those games. I only caught glimpses of a few competitions in passing--when Peter had the TV on and I had to pass through the living room to get somewhere else.

What caused my apathy? Disgust over the deception that has tainted recent games. This 29th Olympiad, we were deceived from beginning to end--from an opening ceremony performer (a "cute" child, who lip-synced the voice of a "not so cute" singer) to drug-enhanced athletes. It has gotten to the point where we don't know what's real and what's not, anymore. I don't like being put in the position where I have to suspect. Has the medallist won because he truly is the fastest, or because he used a performance enhancer that escaped detection?

But I haven't lost all hope. Real athletes, those who compete for the pure joy of the sport, still exist. Take for example, tiny Somalian runner, Samia Yusuf Omar. Read her wonderful story: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/track_field/news?slug=cr-somalirunners082408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) She finished last in her race, yet she's so much more an inspiration to others than the competitors who've won oodles of gold medals. People who triumph over the impossible obstacles set against them, to me, those are the real winners.
***

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!--
from Psalm 139

photo from bbc news.

No comments: