THE SOUL is shaped by words, images, & experiences.

THIS BLOG is about those things that have left their impression on me. I'd love for you to comment on what affects you.
_____________________________________________

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Katharizophobia

Katharizophobia--fear of housecleaning. Okay, I made that term up from the Greek word: katharizo--to clean. I think I have this phobia. My body trembles at the prospect of starting my spring-cleaning. Spring-cleaning is one of those things I put off--like diet & exercise--until its result will be noticed by others. Diet & exercise usually begin at the approach of summer and skimpier clothing. I spring-clean when I know I will have a house full of guests. I hate to think of the state my house would be in if nobody ever came to visit. Maybe that's why hermits live in caves and shacks.

Several years ago, I read a booklet by Dr. James E. McGaughey entitled, The Divinity of Drudgery. Dr. McGaughey wrote about how all toil is holy for the child of God, and he referred to our greatest example: Jesus Christ. Jesus labored as a carpenter for years, before he began His ministry.

I have to ask myself, what's the lesson here? What's in it for me, besides a clean house? The answer would be discipline. Discipline is something I can apply to all areas of my life. I can't always do what I like, but whatsoever I have to do, I must do to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31). Afterall, He gives me life, health, and energy, as well as the home I must clean.

So enough procrastinating. I'm off to scrub the kitchen!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started my spring cleaning the other day, and I really got a lot done:) Casandra's room is now clean and at this rate the whole house should be done by October. Concerning you and diets..... well lets just say..... you need to run back and forth in the shower in order to get wet!

Lydia said...

Vanessa, you are too cute. Okay, the dieting was hypothetical.

Kid Icarus said...

Nice Blog:)

I am a Christian worker doing legal work in Lebanon this summer for a persecuted church there. I will be coming through greece in early june. I was referred to bible baptist church there, but I cannot find an email address that is regularly checked. Could you please check your grpets bigfoot address that you use on blogger.com?
thanks!:)

dot said...

Yesterday marked the beginning of my week of spring cleaning. You're right—there's nothing like a guest (in my case—you!) to get me motivated. Although an encouraging verse for me, Colossians 3:23, would not have me wait for company.
I was excited to find a Swiffer sweeper in my supermarket. Thanks for the tip. It's great for those areas beyond my reach. Also, I fitted it with rags I already had, cut to size. Didn't need to buy refills.
Whoops, hope there's no Swiffer execs. out there.
Happy cleaning!