THE SOUL is shaped by words, images, & experiences.

THIS BLOG is about those things that have left their impression on me. I'd love for you to comment on what affects you.
_____________________________________________

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Are You Adventure-Prone?

What does it mean to be adventure-prone? Does it have to do with encountering actual physical adventures--like suddenly coming face-to-face with a boa contricter while hiking through the Amazon?

Hardly.

In his article entitled From Boy to Writer in One Night, John Howard Griffin gives this definition of an adventure-prone person:

"And adventure-prone person is not simply someone assaulted by a set of adventurous circumstances. Rather, he is someone who can see adventure where the rest of us are blind to it."

Griffin goes on to relate the experience that changed him into an adventure-prone person, one situation he believed might have been responsible for his becoming a writer.

As a poor student living in France, Griffin found himself in Paris one night with no money for lodgings. Forced to sleep on the cold, filthy floor under the stairwell of an old building, he wrote:

"For a time I was acutely aware of my discomfort . . . I was totally absorbed in my misery.
But slowly, another feeling aroused me from my self-preoccupation. It occurred to me that all of this was interesting. I began to detach myself from my discomfort, and as I did so, I realized that this was an experience worth having--or rather, one that would someday be worth having had. I asked myself how many men had ever slept under the stairway of a thirteenth century house? To sleep in a comfortable bed was fine, but if you looked at it in a certain way, this was fine, too. I would forget the many nights spent in comfort and safety, but I knew that I would never forget this night. Therefore it was worth experiencing, worth giving myself up to."

"All things took on new values."

"All I had done was change my attitude."

What a blessing it is to possess a positive attitude toward the difficult situations in life! As the Bible says in Proverbs 15:15: "All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast."

A merry heart is a thankful heart.
"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." -1 Thessalonians 5:18

A thankful heart is the secret for a full and happy life.

What uncomfortable situation have you turned into an adventure lately?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great quote. I might have to copy that one down. And yes, I have certain family members who laugh at my similar reasoning. It's fun to be in the moment and realize that , hey, this is my LIFE. I might as well experience the things God has given me to experience, uncomfortableness included. Trusting God as the author of my story continues to make all the difference in the world. Now if only I can learn what He is teaching! :)