THE SOUL is shaped by words, images, & experiences.

THIS BLOG is about those things that have left their impression on me. I'd love for you to comment on what affects you.
_____________________________________________

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Surfing the Heatwaves Without Air Conditioning

Plastic-melting, face cream-curdling, pinecone-popping heat. It transforms my body into an alien life form. I've become one of those slippery creatures of Sci-Fi films, the ones who leave fetid puddles wherever they drag their thirsty carcasses.

I'm not complaining. Praise God, I don't have to trek for miles across parched desert to find a well. I have clean water at the turn of a faucet. I can drink as much as I want and shower as often as I please.

You get used to the heat. It's amazing. A body can get used to just about anything. I think of the souvlaki cooks, bent over sizzling grills, and the road crews laboring on piping asphalt. None of them complain.

Besides, during this season of triple-digit temperatures, God has provided a special treat. Watermelon! I praise Him for the refreshing red fruit that's 97% water, for the fridge to chill it in, for the limitless ice my freezer makes.

I am also thankful in the knowledge that, as in all trials, this scorcher will pass. Extra appreciative because even as I write this, I feel a cooling breeze stir. Amen!

Following, is a delicious recipe my friend Lorie sent for when your tummy is too hot and grouchy to take breakfast. It's low cal, low fat too!

PINEAPPLE BANANA SMOOTHIE
serving size: 2 glasses

1 can (8oz.) crushed pineapple in juice
1 banana (6oz.)
1 container (6oz.) plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup ice cubes

Place all ingredients into blender and blend. You can substitute pineapple with any other available fruit (like a whole orange), and use the same kind of fruit juice or a complimentary juice. If you like, you can freeze the juice into cubes and use them instead of water ice cubes, for a more intense fruit flavor. You can experiment using fruit-flavored yogurts too. Your imagination is your only limitation!

168 calories
0.4 grams fat
6 grams protein
37.8 grams carbohydrates
2.4 grams fiber

No comments: